During the cooler days of the year, it is important to maintain the home, both inside and
outdoors. Get your home “Winter Ready” by going through the following checklist!
- Clean Gutters – Clogged gutters can form dams where water backs up and can seep into the roof cavity. Remove fallen leaves and debris from your gutters and give them a good rinse with a hose.
- Air-con Maintenance – A home with central heating can lose up to 60% of its heated air before it reaches the vents if it travels through unheated spaces or the duct work is dirty.
- Trim Nearby Trees – Snow and ice will weigh tree branches down causing them to break and fall, potentially resulting in costly property damage. Trim back and tree branches overhanging the roof, windows or driveway.
- Chimney Cleaning – Every year, thousands of house fires originate in chimneys. Remove any old combustibles or obstructions from the chimney before lighting.
- Run Fans in Reverse – Changing the direction of ceiling fans pushes heat pooling near the ceiling back down into the living area, saving almost 10% of your heating costs!
- Seal Leaks – Simple leaks can sap home energy efficiency 5% – 30% per year. It pays to seal up gaps with caulking and weather stripping. Weather seal external doors or use a “door snake” as an alternative.